Game Night w/ The Khans
ft. Harry Potter & Cranium
Board games are very much loved in the JMA household, we are a competitive bunch but also love the banter that comes along with it, the only thing we (The Girls) frown upon is cheating (Looking at the Boys Team, ahem)
Our dear friends The Khans are also huge board game fans and recently purchased a new game, the ‘Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle’. We are all huge potter heads so you can imagine the excitement when we heard about this game and so we organised a games night.
Fun fact..a few years ago we actually created our own Harry Potter Trivia based game. Waseema was the mastermind behind this and it turned out pretty well. She had us quoting and acting bits from the movie as well as answering questions based on our general HP knowledge. Told ya we are huge Harry Potter Geeks 😀
We played two games – Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle and Cranium
First it was just chill time, catching up and talking about how our day/week had been as it was Friday evening. Most importantly, hearing Baby Khan (also known as) Aadam recite his alphabet and shapes to us was just too darn adorable. He’s almost 2 years old and I promise you he’s a little genius! Not just a cute face my friends, kid’s got brainssss! Look at that face though! Isn’t he just the cutest little baba ever?
Allahuma Barik Lahum (May Allah bless him)
It was heading close to Aadam’s dinner time which meant Lubna (Mummy Khan) had to sit out of Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle *cries for Lubs* whilst the rest of us battled it out with our imaginary wands.
HARRY POTTER HOGWARTS BATTLE
This is a deck building game which was a first for us JMA. The Khans did a really good job of explaining how it works and were patient as we slowly made our way through the first round. The goal of the game is simple, you have to defeat the villains (E.g. Death Eaters) before they gain control of several locations (E.g. Diagon Alley)
This is a 4 player game and each player can pick from Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Neville Longbottom. Sameena played as Ron, Umar as Hermione, Waseema as Neville and Imran as Harry. There are 7 games in total – 1 for each year at Hogwarts.
At the start of the game each player is given a deck of 5 cards. These cards allow you to purchase coins or lightening bolts (Basically your attack on the villain) You need to use these cards to your advantage to help you attack the villain before they take over the location. We faced Professor Quirrile in our first round, Malfoy in the second, Crab and Goyle in our final round for Year 1.
Although we weren’t facing each other I (Sam) would just like to point out that I defeated all 4 villains 😀
Basically I carried this team 😛 (The others will disagree…) As it was our first time playing and we had other games to get through we only managed to get to play Year 1.
We really enjoyed this game and will be getting our own very soon. It’s not been released in the UK as of yet but you can still buy it on Amazon. But be warned it could take some time to get to you as it will be coming all the way over from America.
Click HERE to buy ‘Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle’
By now, Anzar and Nuzhat (Lubna’s brother and sister) had arrived, just as our Year 1 HP game had ended. Great time to take a quick dinner break before we got back to the games.
Lubna organised the perfect junk fest for our Game Night – absolutely puuuurfect!
Pizza, Pizza and more Pizza. Loads of sides along with so many sweet goodies to keep us going for the rest of the night.
This was our second game of the night. You can have more than 4 players with this one so everyone was able to take part this time round. We decided to split the teams – Boys (3) vs Girls (4) to make it more fun. Also because the Girls thought we had it in the bag (to be fair we still could…)
The game is split into 4 categories:
- Creative Cat (Blue Cards)
- Creative Cat requires you to either draw or sculpt the word present on the card
- Data Head (Red Cards)
- These are fact based questions to test your general knowledge
- Star Performer (Green Cards)
- Pretty much charades but with the added hilarity of using a fellow team member as your puppet to act out a word
- Word Worm (Yellow Cards)
- Spelling challenges
If you have a big, loud and crazy family then get this game. Make sure to have a camera on standby to capture all the hilarious moments that are bound to happen.
Here are some of our stand out moments:
- Umar was required to ‘Hum’ out a song which he had never heard of before so he decided to hum out the words phonetically if that makes sense?? Major LOL moment. No one got it, and instead we were all busy taking the mick and humming along like a bunch of idiots
- I (Sam) failed to sculpt out a tooth fairy. I went for the tooth under a pillow approach hoping someone will catch on and say tooth fairy sadly they did not. It looked more like giant mush, mushed another piece of giant mush
- Imran had to act out ‘Pole Vaulting’ for charades. You can guess already what’s coming next cant you? Yes…he POLE DANCED to act out the first word. Bloody HILARIOUS! Unfortunately everyone was either laughing too hard or too horrified to capture it on camera. But guess what, the boys were quick to guess this and won this round *sigh*
- A Pictionary attempt for ‘Corn Beef’ resulted in Anzar (Lubna’s brother) repeatedly shouting ‘CORN ON THE COW’ – literally a LMFAO moment
- The awkward moment when you desperately try to roll a purple to move further up the board and instead roll a red THREE times (which was just one step forward on the board)
- Poor Lubna had a pretty embarrassing word slip which had us all laughing but I think it’s a tad inappropriate to share on here…laughing as I type this as it was bloody hilarious!
So who won….Technically no one (The boys will disagree) we didn’t get to finish but the boys are currently in the lead (For now..)
It was a great evening full of laughs, great food and great company. A massive thanks to the Khans for being such great hosts, especially Imran (yes, he forced me to say this). Looking forward to more game nights and laughs with them.
Games Night: TBC… – look out for Games Night 2.0