Hey there Glory Muffins!
This is a recipe for a light, moist cupcake (Muffin) topped with a tangy cream cheese drizzle.
I’ve only ever made carrot cake once and that was using a box mix (Betty Crocker) It’s not a huge favourite in our house so I’ve never tried making it from scratch. This came as a request from my sister’s colleague who loves carrot cake. Of course I am always up for a baking challenge so I said yes. The recipe for these comes from my ‘The very best baking book for children’*. It is very simple, takes no time at all to put together and the result is amazing 😀
CARROT CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 2 Medium Carrots (Washed, peeled and grated)
- 3 Medium Eggs (Room temperature)
- 175ml Sunflower Oil (Vegetable oil also works)
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 100g Pecans or Walnuts (Blitzed to crumbs – This is optional in case you are allergic)
- 200g Plain Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground ginger (Or ½ teaspoon Nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE INGREDIENTS
- 50g Icing Sugar
- 200g Full Fat Cream Cheese (Cold!)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice (Fresh or bottled is fine)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Large Bowls
- Spatula/Wooden spoon
- Electric Whisk (Or you can go old school and use your arm muscles)
- Measuring Scale (Very important!)
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring spoons
- Cupcake Cases
- 12 hole Muffin tin
Before you get started with your mix it’s always a good idea to prepare your tins. In this case we are using a muffin tin. Line your muffin tin with 12 cases and preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (or 180C or 350f)
- Wash and peel the carrots then chop them up using a large grater or food processor, once done set aside in your first bowl.
- Blitz the walnuts (Or Pecans) until they are fine like powder and set aside.
- In your second bowl pour in the sunflower oil and caster sugar. Be sure to sift the sugar into the bowl (Always sift your dry ingredients)
- Mix these for about a minute making sure to scrape the bowl as you do.
- Now add the eggs one at a time mixing well between each addition.
- Once all your eggs have been added stir in the grated carrots and chopped nuts
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt over the mixture.
- Gently fold everything together
- If you are using an electric mixer then use the lowest setting
- Transfer your mixture into a jug (Trust me this will make filling the cases easy and mess free)
- Fill all 12 cases about ⅓ of the way
- Bake the Cupcakes (Muffin) for about 45 min or until they are risen and firm.
- I didn’t actually time my cupcakes, I did the old trick of testing using a cake tester – You could use a toothpick and make sure it came out clean when inserted.
- Leave the cupcakes in the tray for about 10 minutes until they have cooled to the touch then transfer to a cooling rack to cool down completely
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla
- Beat the mixture until it’s nice and smooth
- Fill a piping bag with your cream cheese glaze
- Snip the end of the piping bag and drizzle the glaze over your cupcakes (You can be as neat or as messy as you want)
Thats it its that simple 🙂 Enjoy over a nice cup of tea. Leave a comment below and let me know how you get on with your attempt
Click HERE to buy ‘The Very Best Baking Book for Children’