Presenting to you my first recipe post on JMA!
Banana Bread (Or Cake or loaf)
This recipe is really easy to put together with ingredients that you will most likely have in your cupboard. Its delicious, moist and can be adapted to your taste. Keep reading for the recipe and full instructions.
BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- 110g butter (Room Temperature)
- 190g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (Room Temperature)
- 240g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas (Ripe)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE
- 50g Icing Sugar
- 200g Full Fat Cream Cheese (Cold!)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice (Fresh or bottled is fine)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Large Bowls
- Spatula/Wooden spoon
- Electric Whisk (Or you can go old school and use your arm muscles)
- Measuring Scale (Very important!)
- Measuring spoons
- Loaf Tin
PRE BAKE PREP
Before you get started with your mix it’s always a good idea to prepare your tins. In this case we are using a loaf tin. Line your loaf tin with grease proof paper* and preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (or 180C or 350f)
- First we need to cream the sugar and the butter in a bowl until its light and pale.
- Take about 5 mintues to do this. Trust me on this 5 whole minutes will give you the best result.
- Now add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda and mix until everything is smooth.
- Your batter should fall right of your spatula.
- Peel your bananas and mash them using a fork*
- Add the mushy banana’s to the bowl with the vanilla extract and mix through.
- Pour the mix into your loaf tin and place in the oven for approximately 50 minutes.
- I set my timer for 25 min and covered the tin with tinfoil to stop it from browning/burning too much on top
- Check again at 50 minutes by inserting a metal skewer into the centre of the loaf.
- If it comes out clean the banana bread is ready
- If not put it back in the oven and keep checking every 5 minutes or so until the metal skewer test comes out clean
- Once ready remove from the loaf tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla
- Beat the mixture until it’s nice and smooth
- Fill a piping bag with your cream cheese glaze
- Snip the end of the piping bag and drizzle the glaze over your banana bread (You can be as neat or as messy as you want)
As this was my first time making Banana Bread I wanted to keep it simple. You could jazz it up a bit with some sliced banana’s on top before you place in the over or add some nuts or chocolate chips.
Thats it its that simple 🙂 Enjoy over a nice cup of tea. Leave a comment below and let me know how you get on with your attempt.
*Baking parchment is a good way to line your tin and stop your cake from sticking but I have a better idea….Cake Gloop 😀 I will do a seperate post on my baking hacks so keep an eye out for it
*The original recipe for this is by Donal Skehan
*Ripe banana’s are great for baking. If you have some banana’s browning in your fruit bowl and you cant bring yourself to eat them. Chop them up and stick them in the freezer in an air tight container ready to make Banana bread/cake/loaf when your ready